My service record includes service to the Philosophy Department, the Arts One Program, the University, and the wider scholarly and teaching community. In what follows I highlight just a few of the things I have done in each area. The full list can be found on my CV, section 11, starting on p. 22: Hendricks CV, July 2015 (PDF)
Department of Philosophy
Service related to teaching and learning:
- Curriculum renewal committee, Department of Philosophy, UBC, Fall 2013-present (ongoing)
- This committee developed a draft set of program outcomes for the Philosophy B.A. degree, and is also working on renewing the undergraduate curriculum.
- Ad hoc committee on pedagogical initiatives, Department of Philosophy, UBC, Fall 2014-Spring 2015
- This committee was struck to keep abreast of pedagogical initiatives and innovations at UBC and beyond, and report to the department as necessary.
- Member, UBC Department of Philosophy Task Force on the Status of Women, Spring 2011
- Because of concerns about the gender imbalance amongst our majors, this committee was struck to investigate research on possible causes and gather data from our own students (including a survey) to see what we might do to help address the problem.
- Coordinator, T.A. Training Program, Department of Philosophy, University of British Columbia, Fall 2009-Spring 2010
- I planned several workshops on teaching and learning for T.A.’s in the department, and facilitated one of them myself.
Arts One Program
- I served as the Chair of Arts One from 2010-2012, and am doing so again from 2015-2017. See the “Arts One Chair” page under the Educational Leadership section of this dossier for more information.
- I manage the Arts One Open website: posting lecture recordings and essay topics, connecting student and faculty blog posts http://artsone-open.arts.ubc.ca, Fall 2014-present (ongoing)
- Arts One Advisory Committee, 2008-2010
- Arts One External Review Preparation Committee, University of British Columbia, Spring 2009-Fall 2009
Faculty of Arts
- Member of the Faculty of Arts Curriculum Committee, Fall 2014-present. We review and comment on proposals for curriculum changes from departments and programs.
- I serve as a peer reviewer of teaching for other faculty members in the Faculty of Arts, 2014-present.
- I am a member of the UBC Instructor Network Steering Committee, Summer 2010-present.
- This committee plans events of interest to faculty at UBC who are in the “educational leadership” stream (the teaching-focused stream). We also sometimes engage in advocacy around issues of import to teaching faculty members.
- In January 2014 I organized and facilitated a panel discussion on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning sponsored by the Instructor Network.
- Starting in Fall 2015 I will be serving as the liaison between the Instructor Network and the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology: I will be working with CTLT on joint events of interest to people in the teaching stream, and will be the primary point of contact for them when they want to connect with the Instructor Network.
- I am the co-facilitator for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Community of Practice at UBC, January 2014-present.
- We organize meetings of the Community of Practice about three times per year, sometimes with guest speakers, sometimes with discussions amongst ourselves, sometimes with presentations by the facilitators.
- I gave a presentation and facilitated a discussion about student evaluations of teaching at UBC in April 2015.
- I served as a peer reviewer for proposals for the October 2009 Learning Conference sponsored by the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology, September 2009.
Larger scholarly and teaching community
- Member of the American Philosophical Association Committee on the Teaching of Philosophy, Summer 2011-Summer 2014. While a member I also planned and facilitated two sessions by this committee at annuals meetings of the American Philosophical Association:
- Organized a panel on open online courses in philosophy at the APA Pacific Division meeting, San Diego, California, April 2014.
- Organized a panel on the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Philosophy at the APA Pacific Division meeting, Seattle, Washington, April 2012.
- Member of the Board, American Association of Philosophy Teachers, January 2015-present (http://philosophyteachers.org/)
- I am also Chair of the Teaching and Learning Committee for this association. This committee is charged with organizing 1-3 day workshops on teaching and learning in philosophy, held several times a year in various locations in North America.
- I am in charge of organizing and facilitating a session for AAPT at the Pacific Division meeting of the American Philosophical Association in Spring 2016.
- I am a reviewer for the following journals:
- Teaching and Learning Inquiry, the journal of the International Association for Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2014-present
- Philosophy and Social Criticism, 2008-present
- Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy, 2002-present
- I reviewed a dossier for a teaching award for a faculty member at another university in February 2014, February 2015 (same person, same award; it wasn’t successful the first time).